We are continuing to monitor the developing situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19) and are following advice from Public Health England and the Local Authority. There are now a number of designated areas with implications for travellers which fall into category 1 or 2. I want to reassure you that our recent ski trip falls into a category 2 area and if students are well they will continue to be in school. See list below of current Category areas.

Designated Category Areas:

Areas Category 1: Travellers should self-isolate even if they feel well – see information below on self-isolation.

Areas Category 2: Travellers do not need to undertake any special measures, but if they develop symptoms they should self-isolate and call NHS 111.

Please can we ask that if you have travelled to any of the Category 1 or 2 areas in the last 14 days and your child becomes unwell with cough, fever or shortness of breath, self-isolate them and seek medical advice from NHS 111. Please inform the student absence line of the reason for absence.

There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus. There are general principles anyone can follow to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:

  • washing your hands often – with soap and water, or use alcohol sanitiser if handwashing facilities are not available.
  • covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throwing the tissue in a bin.

What to do if a pupil, student or staff member has travelled from a Category 2 specified country/area in the last 14 days

If they are currently well:

  • they are advised to self-isolate only if they develop symptoms (cough, fever or shortness of breath)
  • they can continue to attend work or education
  • they do not need to avoid contact with other people
  • their family do not need to take any precautions or make any changes to their own activities
  • testing people with no symptoms for COVID-19 is currently not recommended

If they become unwell:

  • they should stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as they would with other flu viruses (see this home isolation advice sheet).
  • they (or a family member, colleague or member of staff) should call NHS 111 immediately for them to be assessed by an appropriate specialist, as quickly as possible
  • they should stay at home and should not attend work or education
  • they should not go directly to their GP or other healthcare environment
  • if they require emergency medical attention, call 999 and tell the call handler or ambulance control that the person has a history of recent travel to risk areas for COVID-19

We continue to monitor this on a daily basis.